English through Adventure
English through Adventure camp for 7 - 17 year olds, 4 - 11 August 2019
Our English through Adventure camp takes place in a beautiful location by the sea in Dorset on the south coast of England. English is developed through task-based activities in the morning and through adventurous activities in the afternoon.
Pupils are accommodated in tents with up to six others of the same gender and similar age. The campsite has a large tipi with a camp fire in the centre. This provides the setting for performances, songs and stories during the evening and helps to enhance the community spirit of the camp.
During the morning pupils participate in language-learning activities in small groups. They might, for example, create a short drama or dance to perform around the camp fire in the evening. Language is used naturally for a real purpose, while the element of physical involvement encourages relaxed and effective learning. Groups are mixed age: younger pupils learn from older ones; older pupils develop leadership and nurturing skills.
Each morning there is also a linguistic preview of the afternoon's activity. For example, before going mountain biking pupils will learn the names of the different parts of a bike and how to ride it efficiently and safely; they will look at the route and discuss the fauna and flora they might see. Pupils have a vested interest in following this instruction and the vocabulary they learn is recycled naturally during the afternoon activity.
The provisional programme is as follows:
- Sunday – Arrival, welcome & introductions, camp craft & team activities
- Monday – am: Language learning activities / pm: Canoeing & Kayaking
- Tuesday – am: Language learning activities / pm: Climbing & Abseiling on the sea cliffs
- Wednesday – am: Language learning activities / pm: Archery & Air-Rifle Shooting
- Thursday – am: Language learning activities / pm: Mountain Biking in the forest
- Friday – am: Language learning activities / pm: High & Low Ropes Course
- Saturday – relaxation day with coastal walk, beach & campfire revue
- Sunday – depart Camp
Activities are graded according to the age and ability of the participants. As with everything we do, safety is an absolute priority. Adventurous activities are provided by fully qualified professional instructors. Our own teachers provide general support and supervision. Risk assessments are in place for each activity and our insurance is extended to cover these activities.
The camp is technology free.* The pace is relaxed and we provide plenty of free time. Pupils learn how to occupy their free time without recourse to a screen, eg. playing football, exploring, reading or just chatting together. This informal socialisation between pupils from different countries and cultures improves general English skills and helps to broaden cultural horizons.
Pupils are assisted by our teachers to keep a daily diary during their stay. Over the 7 days of the camp this builds into a record of their stay as well as providing writing practice.
A report on each pupil's participation and progress will be sent to parents after the camp.
The camp takes place for one week, 4 - 11 August. The cost is £1200. Most pupils will continue from the main course at Port Regis but we also welcome participants who want to attend only the adventure camp. Transport from Port Regis at the start of the adventure camp and back to London Heathrow Airport at the end of the adventure camp is included in the price. We can arrange taxi transfers from London Heathrow at the start of the camp at extra cost.
If you have already booked a place on our main course you can add the adventure camp by logging in to your child's account here. If you wish to book the adventure camp only please create a new booking here
Any questions, please email Co-Director of ECS Christopher Etchells who attends the camp to provide overall supervision.
* Pupils can use their mobile phones at the start of camp but these will not be recharged until shortly before they return home. An emergency phone is available at all times.
- Improved English and general communication skills
- Personal development through teamwork and physical achievement
- Social development through technology-free, mixed-age activities and play
- Increased physical energy and enthusiasm
- A closer connection to nature
- Powerful positive memories